Breastfeeding is much more than delivering milk to your child. Breastfeeding is an intimate communication between you and your baby.
Communication is the core of every relationship. When we communicate we exchange energy.
Babies are born open and vulnerable. Through breastfeeding they receive energy for their physical, mental and psychological growth. Through this energy they learn about the world they now live in.
Breastfeeding is a means of communication, a tool for relationship building and an opportunity to raise and fine-tune the energy level of your baby to match your own energy level.
How is energy transferred between human beings?
Human beings transfer energy to those around them in three ways:
- By being in their vicinity.
Have you noticed how you tend to look up with a curious smile when someone walks towards you with a spring in their step and a smile on their face?
But we can choose to ignore this energy if we close our eyes.
- Through speech
Have you noticed how you can identify that a person is unwell the moment they lift the phone and say “Hello”?
But we can choose to ignore this energy because words are always open to interpretation.
- Through touch
Have you noticed how just a pat on the head from your mother / father / teacher can calm you down?
It is difficult to ignore this energy because it has already entered your body.
How is your energy transferred to your baby when you breastfeed?
- When you breastfeed, you transfer energy to your baby through skin to skin contact.
- You transfer energy through contact between one of the most sensitive parts of your body – your nipple and one of the most sensitive parts of your baby’s body – her/his tongue.
- Energy is transferred through eye contact and speech.
- Energy is transferred by actual movement of a part of you – your milk – into your baby.
What energy / information do you pass on to your baby through your breast milk?
- Nutritional energy –The nutritive substances in milk help your baby grow.
- Emotional energy – Through close contact and suckling, you convey to your baby that you are there to fulfil her/his deepest needs.
- Cultural energy – Through the taste of your milk your baby learns about your culture because your milk acquires the taste of the food you eat.
- The different energies of the day and night – The composition of breast milk changes during the night. And the substances present in night time milk teach babies about day and night. This allows them to fine-tune their circadian rhythm.
- Spiritual energy – Through close contact you pass on your calm and happy state to your baby.
- Immunological energy – While breastfeeding, your baby communicates her/his ill health to your brain and your milk changes in composition and fills with different immunoglobulins to heal your baby.
How to cherish this energy transfer to your baby:
- Feed your baby skin to skin as much as possible.
- Look into your baby’s eyes and have loving conversation as you feed. When you adore your baby, you share the best part of yourself with your baby.
- Recite a positive affirmation before you begin feeding to convert any negative energy that you may be harbouring into positive energy.
- Meditate once a day to transform negative energy into positive energy.
- Eat healthy food to stay healthy. A sick body will only have negative energy.
- Get a massage. A healing touch fills you with positive energy that you can then pass on.
Breastfeeding is not easy, but it is also not forever.
Use these golden moments to build a relationship with your baby.
Dr Debmita Dutta MBBS, MD
Dr Debmita Dutta is a practicing doctor, a parenting consultant and the founder of the website WPA whatparentsask.com; she is based in Bangalore and conducts Parenting workshops at schools and corporate organizations.